Cape Medical Museum
Early Cape medical history is detailed in the former residence of the superintendent of the defunct city hospital. The Cape Medical Museum reflects medical history with an emphasis on both western and traditional medicine at the Cape. Its local name is Kaapse Mediese Museum. The Cape Medical Museum depicts both western and traditional medicinal practices. Contained in the New Somerset Hospital, the old city hospital for contagious diseases built by Sir George Grey the governor of the Cape in 1859 the Cape Medical Museum is a great visit if you are interested in the history of medicine, particularly as it emphasizes both western and traditional medicine in the Cape. It lies in Green Point opposite the UCT Graduate school of Business, on the corner of Beach Road.
Suitable items from the museum collection have been selected for display so as to recapture various aspects of medical practice in earlier times. A book and document collection is available for research workers. The Cape Medical Museum depicts both western and traditional medicinal practices. Early-20th C reconstructions of a consulting room, dispensary, dentist's room, operating theater and hospital ward can be viewed.
Here you will be given the opportunity to see:
- Turn-of -the-century reconstructions of a consulting room / dispensary, dentist's room, operating theater and hospital ward
- Sangoma's bones
- Flower of Fatima
- Unique and exciting instruments and equipment
- Anglo-Boer / SA War exhibit
- Guided tours for groups
- Slide shows / videos
- Educational programmes
- Leactures and presentations
- Archival material for research purposes
- The Museum is available as a venue for medically related functions
- The Society of Friends of the Cape Medical Museum organizes interesting outings and tours of historical interest. Application forms for membership are available on request.
Booking is advisable for museum tour to avoid disappointment. Booking is advisable also for group visits. Monday - Friday: 09:00 - 16:00, Saturday: By appointment only, Sunday & Public Holidays: Closed.
Location and Contact
Cape Medical Museum
Old City Hospital Complex (Situated just off the Waterfront)
Portswood Road 8005
Green Point, Cape Town, Western Cape