The Granary

The Granary

Reception / Information on museum complex and surrounds. Exhibit of old wagon trails, mountain passes and a display of Fynbos species of the area.The very popular Ethno Botanical Garden and Braille Trail is situated just outside the Granary.


The Granary (1787) was built in 1786 by the Dutch East India Company. This led to the opening up and expansion of the grain and wool trades. 1949/50 a large warehouse was erected on the site by the "Suid Westelike Landbou Bpk.", and the existing granary was demolished. The GranaryWith the demolition of the warehouse in 1986 the original foundations of the granary were discovered and a replica of the 1786 building was erected.

It is now used as a reception/information centre for the museum complex. This museum also displays the cultural heritage of the town and district.

Khoi-Khoi Exhibits

The Khoi-Khoi people, native nomads who lived in the Mossel Bay area in the 1400's, played an important part in the early history of our town. The first European explorers made contact with them on their voyages around Africa to the East. The Culture Museum houses interesting displays of Khoi artefacts.

This Clay Pot, on display in the Culture Museum of the Bartolomeu Dias Museum Complex, is believed to have been used by the native Khoi-Khoi people who nomadically lived in the present Southern Cape Region in the late 1400's.

A live specimen table with examples of plants and flowers found in the Mossel Bay area on display in the granary.

Back To The Mossel Bay Bartolomeu Dias Museum Complex

Mossel Bay area on display in the granary


Category: